jan filek created a series of 10 inspirational design posters with quotes from the inspiring minds of Harold Speed, David Lynch, Audie McCall, Picasso, Ken Rockwell, Peter Fischli, David Weiss and Erik Spiekermann.
i think they are great rules for designers to remember and a few rules that can be applied to everyday life as well. 🙂
1. DO ONE THING AT A TIME – Don’t dissipate your powers; strive to concentrate them.
2. KNOW THE PROBLEM – Always have a clear idea of what it is you want to do.
3. STAY TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL IDEA – Then you have at least a chance of being able to live with yourself.
4. LEARN TO LISTEN – The opposite of talking is not waiting to talk. Pay attention and you won’t miss important input.
5. ACCEPT CHANGE AS INEVITABLE – You’ve got to accept change as inevitable and trust the process. Be willing to let go and think new thoughts.
6. BE HONEST AND LIE – Only by bending reality as we perceive it, we can hope to move another person see something in a truly new way.
7. BREAK RULES – But only if it looks better. However, one must know the rules in order to break them.
8. FORM BEATS COLOUR – Art owes more to form (for it’s range of expression) than to colour.
9. DISTINGUISH SENSE FROM NONSENSE – Anything that isn’t directly helping the composition takes away from it.
10. COLLABORATE AND TAKE PART IN DISCOURSE – Learn to think differently by working with others, share experiences and reflect together about your work.
*all images courtesy of jan filek
make sure to visit jan’s website to see all 10 poster designs.